I had bloggers block this week. That doesn’t happen too often, but I just couldn’t figure out what I wanted to make for all of you lovely people. So I asked my assistant, my 6 year old, for her input and she immediately said, “How about lemon bars?”. Well that sounded absolutely perfect to me!
I looove lemon bars and this recipe is amazing. In fact I am eating one as I write this 🙂 They are actually quite easy to make and perfect dessert for spring! YAY for spring!
Recipe from Texanerin Baking
Ingredients & Directions
- For the crust
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white
- For the Filling
- 3 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- Optional topping
- Coconut flour for Paleo or powdered sugar for non paleo
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9×5 loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the honey, shredded coconut, almond flour, and salt and mix until well combined.
- Remove from heat and add egg whites (save yolk for something later) and stir.
- Add mixture to loaf pan and firmly press down. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the filling add eggs to a large bowl and beat until frothy. Add remaining ingredients and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour filling over baked crust and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until center is set.
- Let the bars cool completely before serving. Cut into squares and top with powdered sugar or coconut flour.
- Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 4 days.