Happy fall! Time for pumpkins, chilly nights, football, and of course soup. Soup is my ultimate comfort food. Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is definitely a keeper!
The crock pot is my best friend this time of year. It’s quick with super easy clean up. The smell of this soup will knock your socks off when you walk in the door after a busy day!
I topped my soup with some cheddar cheese, but you could easily add avocado, or dollop of Greek yogurt. Vegetarian? No problem skip the chicken and add a can of black beans!
Recipe Adapted from Baked by Rachel.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 2 ears of corn, scrape kernels off of cob
- 1 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained, or dice up fresh
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced, add more for spicy
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili power
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheese for topping
- Tortilla chips (optional)
- In a crock pot add the first 12 ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from crock pot and shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to crock pot and gently stir.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.