I originally made this Broccoli and Cheese Soup recipe for my blog over 2 years ago. Yikes! Boy does time fly! I have been going through my recipe archives lately and some of them are have serious need for updating. While the recipes are great the photos are blahhh. I have come a long way in my photography, but I still have lots more to learn.
Anyway back to the soup! In my original recipe I had used cheddar cheese. This time I used smoke gouda. Oh my goodness it is deeeelish!
This soup is loaded with veggies so dig in!
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large head of broccoli, roughly chopped including stem
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk, I used almond milk
- 1/2 cup smoked gouda, shredded (cheddar would also work)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot. Add diced carrots, celery, onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and vegetable broth. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add broccoli to the pot when there is about 5 minutes left until the potatoes are done. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes until broccoli is cooked.
- Add milk, cheeses, salt and pepper. Cook until cheese melts.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender, food processor, or blender.