If you love hearty soups, I think you’ll really enjoy this dish. High in fiber, folate, protein, and antioxidants, black beans are a great, healthy main ingredient to make a soup a meal.
- 3 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 14oz can vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 of lime juice
- handful of fresh cilantro, picked from stems
- greek yogurt, for topping
- cheddar cheese, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until you can smell it, about 1 minute. Add the broth, tomatoes, ketchup, Worcestershire, and chili powder. Stir in the beans, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Adjust the heat so the soup is bubbling gently and cook 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the cilantro coarsely and stir it into the soup when it has been simmering 10 minutes. Cook until the soup is thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Put half of the soup in a food processor or blender and puree. Mix back together in large pot. Serve with the garnishes.